As one of the many Lantau tourist spots loved by nature enthusiasts, Lantau Country Park is famous for its many hiking routes. The 70km Lantau Trail is divided into 12 sections:
- Section 1: Mui Wo to Nam Shan
- Section 2: Nam Shan to Pak Kung Au
- Section 3: Pak Kung Au to Ngong Ping
- Section 4: Ngong Ping to Sham Wat Road
- Section 5: Sham Wat Road to Man Cheung Po
- Section 6: Man Cheung Po to Tai O
- Section 7: Tai O to Kau Ling Chung
- Section 8: Kau Ling Chung to Shek Pik
- Section 9: Shek Pik to Shui Hau
- Section 10: Shui Hau to Tung Chung Road
- Section 11: Tung Chung Road to Pui O
- Section 12: Pui O to Mui Wo
Section 1 of the Lantau Trail begins at the Mui Wo Ferry Pier. Lantau Trail is a well-equipped facility. At the intersection of each section, there are direction signs and maps for the reference of visitors. Section 11 of the Lantau Trail starts just across the Tung Chung Road, which is not far from Ngong Ping 360. At 3km long, this section involves some rolling steps and cuts through dense woodland. It reaches Pui O in the end. If you like hiking, you must not miss the equally famous Ngong Ping Trail and Wong Lung Ravine.
For a less strenuous walk, Sections 1 and 2 of Lantau Trail are popular choices. Starting From Mui Wo, you will walk to Nam Shan and then Pak Kung Au, where you can reach the peak of Yi Tung and Tai Tung. The first section is relatively easy and you will encounter more steps in Section 2; the journey is generally flat and is suitable for hiking novices. If you would like to look at a full view of Lantau, go along Section 3 of Lantau Tail, and walk from Pak Kung Au to the peak of Lantau Peak before proceeding to Ngong Ping. This is a 6 to 7km journey, and the section between Ngong Ping to Lantau Peak is rather steep. No matter you are going up or descending; do consider your physical strength and the supplies you bring with you.
Lantau South Country Park
How to get there
From Tung Chung Cable Car Terminal (Exit B of Tung Chung MTR station), take a 25-minute cable car ride to Ngong Ping. Alternatively, take a New Lantao Bus from downtown Tung Chung to go to the different sections.