LANTAU OUTDOOR FUN -
Tung Chung Hau Wong Temple
Located in Sha Tsui Tau of Tung Chung, Hau Wong Temple is one of the many Lantau tourist spots that is of great historical value. It is the largest Hau Wong temple on Lantau Island. Although it is not quite the scale of Po Lin Monastery, visitors must not miss it if they go on a historical land tour. Hau Wong Temple is a place to honour Hau Wong, Yang Liangjie, who was a loyal general in late Sung Dynasty.
A traditional bell engraved with the date of the 30th year of Emperor Qianlong’s reign is still displayed in the temple. It is therefore believed the temple was built in 1765. There are also two stone inscriptions, a big whalebone, and a stone set inside in the temple symbolising mutual harmony between the East and West of Tung Chung.
The temple has been revitalised several times but its major features are still preserved. Currently, there is an open area in front of the temple including a football pitch, basketball court and a youth centre. Every year, villagers celebrate Hau Wong Festival on the 18th day of the eighth month of the Chinese calendar.